Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A2Z Blogging Challenge K is for...

 


*   
Keep Going:

It is especially important to keep going, do not let yourself be dissuaded. Your novel is going to be awesome when you are done.


Keeping Drafts:

Don’t forget to ensure that your work on the computer is backed up and each draft you go through is kept in a folder with the name of the working novel as it’s main name,  it’s own individual number or letter which makes it easier for you to find.

Kill your darlings:

If a character is not working, or can easily be replaced by another character, then it is time to get rid of them. We must be brutal at this stage, we may love this character and enjoy writing them, but if they serve no purpose, and don’t move the novel along, it’s time to get rid of them, and as mentioned previously, if a plot point, or scene is not working, get rid of it as well. Learn to cut out what doesn’t work (besides as mentioned before, you can save them to a separate document in case you need them later, or for something else).


Being kind to yourself:

When reading through what you have written in your first draft, don’t be negative about your writing or ability, that was the first draft, it’s supposed to be awful, you were just getting the bones down. Now I know that it sounds like repetition, but the more you hear / read it, the more you will be prone to believing it and actually feel good and be kind to yourself about your writing.

Write what you KNOW:

It’s an old adage and for beginner writers complicated. The way I look at this writing what you KNOW thing is this, I may not know how to pick a lock, but if I research it, so that I can either do it, or explain it, then I know about it right? If I read a lot of true crime and can recognise how a crime scene looks then I can write a crime mystery, if I research the PI business I can write about a P.I, I don’t always have to physically ‘KNOW’ something for years and years, doing it does help (I don’t condone murder, theft, or kidnapping), but research helps you KNOW stuff if you get what I mean.



1 comment:

  1. I do umpteen drafts before I’m finishing and, yes, kill my darlings, in the form of words and sentences and entire scenes. Recently I chopped a story down by nearly half and it was much better. It was rejected anyway, but I’m not planning to return to the orig8nsl.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

V is for...

Voracious writers As in, the amount of writing you get done or books published in a year...some writers / authors are Voracious in the amoun...