Saturday, April 17, 2021

Blogging A2Z Challenge O is for...

 

*Outlines:

There is a common misassumption that outlines have to be written at the beginning when you are preparing to write the vomit draft, now while I do prefer to do this, I have found that an outline can also be written when you are finished with the first draft, and might come in useful when you are editing to keep you in line so that you don’t wander off, now this might not be for everyone, but why not give it a go and see where it leads you?


*Opening Scenes:

Your first sentence should grab readers, by the third page an event should have happened that will make the reader want to keep reading (The hook if you will).


Opportunity to fill in holes in the plot:

If when you are editing your novel you find yourself with a glaring plot hole (as mentioned earlier), now is the time to fill it in. If you have left yourself a little note when writing the vomit draft about something that needs to go there, now is the time to put it in. Remember though, you are making notes to yourself in your notebook, not rewriting it just yet.


Order of editing:

There is no real order of editing, but most of what I’ve read in researching all this for you and for me, is that the big things might need looking after first (plot holes, structure) before you look at the little things (punctuation, grammar, spellings).


2 comments:

  1. I think the order of editing you outlined makes sense. You would want to correct the bigger things first before moving onto a cleanup pass. Not that I'm an expert. I spent a lot of time editing. I never seem to get it right on the first pass. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, I love the one about opening scenes, so true.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

Post from the bag....

The Post Ideas Mesh Bag! The question is... 'Are you a morning person or a night owl'? If I haven't had enough sleep I'm a g...