Monday, April 12, 2021

A2Z Blogging Challenge, J is for...

 



Jot down all thoughts that come to you in your notebook:

As you read through the printed-out chapters of your novel, or review it on screen, make sure that you jot down everything that comes to mind about the plot / characters / description. I know I have mentioned this previously, but I am mentioning it again here so that it sinks in. This second draft / Editing that you are doing requires you not to change things now, but to read through what you have written and make tonnes of notes for the next draft.*

Joy:

Okay, now you are probably looking at this post and saying, “Aww come on Gina, how can this possibly be anything other than grump inducing hard work.” Well the answer is, because it can be fun to rearrange things, to discover silly little mistakes and correct them, laughing at the fact you put ‘the hat on the cat’ or whatever.

It is indeed hard work, but it is fun work, there is much joy and excitement to be had during this process, the further along you get, the closer to being done with your novel and sending it to be published you are. So, take a moment, sit back and let yourself feel that little spark of joy…


Justifying the time:

This goes with the Imposter Syndrome. As writers, who wish to have a completed novel, that will sit on someone’s bookshelf, or be purchased and downloaded to be read on an electronic device, we must take what we are doing seriously. Explain to your family, friends, significant others that you need to take aside the time you have allotted to editing and do the work.

Sometimes those closest to us don’t understand, and will interrupt us with teas, coffees, questions about where their shoes are, and when was the last time you put oil in the car, and if you will cook dinner now.

If you give in, if you don’t make your work important, then how will they take you or it seriously? Just as your writing time was sacrosanct (and if it was not it should have been), your editing time must be cherished and abided to by all.

3 comments:

  1. Having a notebook sounds a great advice, writing or sketching for documentation. You don't want a cup of tea, are you sure? 😉
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
  2. More excellent advice, thank you! I start a new notebook for every novel I write, and by the time the novel is finished, the notebook is usually full!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find such joy in editing a scene well. But then, editing was my start. I can't turn it off. My husband proofreads his stuff, but then I'll read it and find a missing period or some tiny thing. But changing something and feeling it better when you read it afterward is JOY!

    In fact, I think I'm going to go spend time editing. I'll do more blog-reading later.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

Q is for...

 Queers, Disabled, People of Colour and other Minorities First things first, I'm Queer (the B in LGBTQ+) and I'm Disabled (degenera...