Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A2Z Blogging Challenge, U is for...

 



Underestimating the process:

Some new writers don’t think they need to go through the editing and proofing process of novel writing, they get a vomit draft done during NaNoWriMo or even the Blogging A2Z Blogging Challenge and decide that it’s good enough to put up, and others don’t finish off what they are doing properly (holds hands up with original version of Sorcery).

What is important however is that you follow the process, you read through what you have written, you edit your novel using either a printed off copy, a notebook, or a program on your computer, you send then to beta readers, you make notes on what they send back, you create another draft, and if you like, send back out, once you get that one back, work up a query letter, and see if you can a. find an agent, or b. get a traditional publisher onboard.

This is what I hope to do this time around. Lesson learned.


Underestimating your audience:

When editing your novel, look out for bits where you have explained what is going on, rather than showing or even describing it. Even if you do write as if your reader is twelve, don’t assume they are daft, because they aren’t. Twelve year olds are quite smart and will happily point out any mistakes you make. If you can't hold a Twelve year old's attention, you'll never hold an adults.


Useless information:

Please don’t impart a whole lot of information to the reader unless it’s to muddy the waters in a detective novel (even then It’s not that useless, just misdirection). Avoid the dump, and keep everything moving forward.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness, how many times I've underestimated the writing process! I always think I'll be able to get something done in a couple drafts, and then ten drafts later I'm still working on it. Good point on useless information...there's nothing I hate more than an info dump!

    -Amren from Operation Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for encouraging my process! I've been going through this interminably, but have set a goal to "be published" (aka, have an agent or publisher, be in query process at the very least) by the end of this year.

    My trouble is that I set it aside after each edit, and often end up with a new novel's first draft on my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree....new mistakes become visible every new time we read our work and better ideas spring up too

    https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/t-for-thestral.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

Morning...

What a dreary Monday afternoon, perfect really for some admin work. My thinking is if I get it out of the way today, I have the entire week ...