Monday, April 5, 2021

Blogging A2Z Challenge, D is for...

 

 Description:

Are your descriptions clear? Have you entered the room and described what your character can see, so that the reader can see it as well and not mistake a warehouse for a drawing room? Are your character descriptions accurate, across the novel? Have you a description for each character as they are introduced in the novel especially if they are a main character? Are they believable? Is the world your novel set described enough that your reader can see it clearly, not too much now mind you, but enough that they know where they are? Just because you the writer can see it in your minds eye, doesn’t mean that your reader can. You don’t need to be heavy handed, but you do need to be clear.


Dialogue:

Ensure that your characters sound different to each other, not contrived or static (doesn’t do anything to move the plot forward). By that I mean could only they have said what was said, or could it have been anyone? Does the dialogue feel real, like someone real would have said it, or is it contrived, just there to fill space and add words, and I’ve explained static already. Try reading it aloud, see how it sounds.


Drafts, How Many Does It Take?:

There isn’t a set amount, first is vomit (everything in one go if you can manage it), Second is trying to whip that vomit draft into something legible, third is going back over second and fine tuning, fourth is after the beta readers have gotten their hands on it, fifth I think personally should involve a proof reader or editor to catch any mistakes your tired brain, that has come accustomed to the novel has bypassed. Set yourself a deadline, and end on it. (well do your best as we all know life is complicated).


Don’t Freak OUT:

There may come a point in your edits where you are wondering what the heck are you doing, who told you you could write, and why are you even trying. Let it go, tell it to go feck off, or oh look shiny then lock it up and throw away the key. We all have those, they happen when we’re doing the vomit draft, editing, polishing, and sending off to beta’s or publishers. Your gonna be okay, keep going.


4 comments:

  1. In my quilting life I often hum "Just Keep Sewing" in the voice of Dory in the Nemo cartoons. If I were writing it would probably be "Just Keep Writing." ... and don't freak out ... well, only freak out a little ... maybe ... ;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dory, and I am loving your posts, thanks Pat for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. My "freak out" equivalent is over editing. I'm currently in a post-reader, fixing-the-issues-they-told-me-out, edit, and I'm being waylaid by tweaking small things that probably don't matter.
    *sigh* It'll be fine. I can let it go!
    (and thanks for the fun "egg" prompt)
    Doesn't Speak Klingon

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah the little things, they'll block you a whole lot. Of course you can let it go, and you are more than welcome, loved the story and that you picked my prompt. Thanks again for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

Post from the bag....

The Post Ideas Mesh Bag! The question is... 'Are you a morning person or a night owl'? If I haven't had enough sleep I'm a g...