Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Blogging A2Z Challenge, E is for...

 

 Essential Information:

        Ensure that all essential information is in the novel, such as where a place is located, how your             character got there, how they missed the boat…that kind of thing. Just make sure that it's not an     information dump, and that it does however make sense and moves the story forward. If you catch     yourself thinking 'how did they do that again' then you know it's going to be unclear to your reader, or  the 'that's just not possible' then as the story teller you are going to need to fix it and make it believable.


Endings:

Your novel ending should not be rushed, it should read as if it’s a natural conclusion to everything that has just gone before. It doesn’t need to be neat and tidy, but it would be nice if it made sense. Ask yourself:

o   Did I achieve closure?

o   Is there some satisfaction in the end?

o   If I intended to surprise my reader, did I?

o   Did I foreshadow well while not giving away the ending too early?

                                                                                                                              

Expansion:

As well as cutting stuff from sections, and chapters, you also might find yourself needing to expand. Description, plot and even some paragraphs may need a little something extra, do not be afraid to add it, if it’s necessary.

 

Epilogues:

Don’t rush these, they should be used to clarify the ending of the novel if necessary, and bear in mind they can also be useful for setting up the next novel in a series. Some people don't agree with them, but it's up to you and your novel, if your story warrants one, then put it in, if it doesn't, then don't. 

 

Expectations:

Manage your expectations, your first draft won’t be a pristine piece of work ready for publishing, it should be your vomit draft, the one where you lay the bones of the creation, and other drafts will then become the sinews, nerves, muscle and skin of your novel. Expect it to be rough.


Editing Plan: 

Before you begin, you will need to figure out how much time you can dedicate to the editing process. Will you be able to set aside one hour per week or a full day? Then work out manageable chunks of the editing process. These hours are sacrosanct, ensure that your family, and significant others understand that this time.

I recommend that you use one of those lovely thick notebooks you have in storage (you know the ones, they’ve been there for some time, waiting to be used), for the editing process. Once you have chosen your notebook, open it to the first page, and write yourself an accountability statement, if you are unsure of actually staying on track, then get a good friend (who will hold you accountable) to sign your document.

“I Bridgina Molloy [enter your own name here] will edit one chapter per week, which mean that I will have completed all chapter edits by [59 chapters] approximately February 2022 [insert your own date here as your chapters may not be as many as mine]. To meet this deadline, I must sacrifice the time that I use to sit in front of Netflix during the day mindlessly watching movies [or activity of your choice]. Once I have completed my edit, I will reward myself by eating one large knickerbocker glory, going for coffee with my beautiful wife (providing lockdown has been lifted) and handing the edit out to beta readers to be read.”

Here is a checklist that I found on one of the websites regarding editing,  which recommends somethings you might like to keep in mind as you read [print off one of these per chapter to help, tick off as you go through the list]:

  • ·       In this scene, whose point of view am I writing in? Does this make sense?
  • ·       Can I improve on the pacing in Acts 1, 2 or 3? Do any parts drag on or feel like they have been skipped over?
  • ·       Does the inciting incident still work? Does the story start in the right place?
  • ·       Is my climax good enough?
  • ·       Where did I lack detail?
  • ·       Does each scene have a purpose? Does it advance the plot and/or contribute to character development?
  • ·       Are the stakes high enough? If not, what do I need to change to raise the stakes?
  • ·       Have I rushed the ending?
  • ·       What is the overall theme in my first draft? Is it clear enough? Is it too clear (i.e., not subtle enough)?
  • ·     Are my characters fleshed-out and complex? What emotions do they make me feel?
  • ·     Which characters might need to be cut, or relegated to the background?
  • ·     Who needs to come forward? Do I need to introduce a particular character earlier? 

This list can be added to, but remember, when you’ve done all this, and even sent it to your betas, it’s worthwhile saving to hire a professional to go through the novel.

Also, this notebook can become your editing bible, where you write down all your thoughts on what you are reading and what you need to do. Don’t forget, we aren’t rewriting the thing just yet.


2 comments:

  1. Happy endings, please! Great list, very useful for writers. I had to upload my videos from youtube too, and they didn't show on a mobile, only PC version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh darn, I had thought that smaller vids would show, but no such luck.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

Morning...

What a dreary Monday afternoon, perfect really for some admin work. My thinking is if I get it out of the way today, I have the entire week ...