Thursday, April 4, 2024

D is for...


 Drafts...How Many?

When writing anything you should have more than one draft of the novel, there should be at least, at LEAST five drafts of your novel. 

I consider the first draft to be my outline (mine are bullet pointed chapters with everything I know is supposed to happen in them written down).

My second draft is the one where I flesh out everything that has been bullet pointed and I make note of major plot holes.

My third draft is the one that fills in the plot holes, and the missing research.

Send the draft to betas 

My fourth draft is the read through draft, I get word to 'read aloud' so I can hear it all.

Send draft to editors / proof readers if you have them

My fifth draft is the final, final, the polish, the make sure it's all done correct draft. 


I'm not a correct as I go along kind of person, I like to get everything down, where it's supposed to be. I need all these drafts in order to get the novel to where I want it and it's still no guarantee that it will be flawless. 


Why not check out these websites and see if they can shed anymore insight on the drafting process.


Writers Edit

Jeff Goins 


Let me know in the comments how many drafts you go through. 


Deadlines:

Sometimes as writers we can procrastinate (you can admit it here, I won't tell anyone). I find that setting deadlines for myself can help me put my butt in my chair and get the work done, like right now I'm working on two books at the one time, a re - edit of Enhanced, and my third novel Vampire, which I plan on entering into the Writers Digest e-book competition in June. 

If you announce a publishing date, do your best to stick to it, as you don't want a reputation for being untrustworthy. If it's a major thing that stops you from keeping to your date, then let your followers know that it's been postponed due to events beyond your control.

Its all good practice for when you get picked up by a traditional publisher, and have real deadlines to stick to.




8 comments:

  1. As many drafts as it takes. For publishing at least three and whatever the editor needs. I am working on a writing topic this year too: Prompts for Memoir. https://womenslegacyproject.com/category/a-to-z/permission-to-write/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I feel called out! ;) I have something due to my publisher soon and I see that instead of completing one project I have three drafts of the same project! Well, hopefully I can get organized.
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side blog
    2024 A to Z of Dungeons & Dragons, Celebrating 50 Years of D&D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just do one, the rough draft...i've never actually had the courage to let anyone read my work...so the rough is all that's needed. sometimes i just have to get the story out of my head, so down in print it goes. i go back after and make my corrections and then fizzle out. Idea-ist@GetLostInLit

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say drafts, how do you do it? Do you make a copy of your draft to write on and then type that up to use for the next edit or revise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Draft two I print out the outline, then create a new document, I go through each chapter fleshing out and including the outline.
      Third draft is then a full copy of the second draft, and I work on that, same with fourth and then final.
      Personally I do this because it's like a physical trial and proof that this story is mine. Also each draft is dated.

      Delete
  5. Sorry the anonymous at 12:48 is mine! I don't like how Blogger works anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah drafts...so often a subject of discussion. My first draft has been corrected a little because I can't help fiddling as I go. The second draft is for tightening the ms, then I send it to my beta readers. Third draft incorporates beat reader feedback. 4th draft is an out loud read through. The 5th and final draft occurs after the editor has had their say. So, I agree. 5 is the magic number.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-d

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first competed novel draft seemed fulsome to me but then I realised it is just the story and that the characters needed fleshing out a lot. I switched from Word to Scrivener and the Character forms have been helpful. I am not rewriting the whole draft but adding to it and in a very few cases, subtracting. I feel this will be sufficient in this case, but when I return to my first uncompleted novel, I think the insights I have gained will result in more of an outline draft with character sketches before I get back to the actual writing - we live and learn...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

The Insta thing, slide two...