Thursday, April 25, 2024

V is for...


Voracious writers

As in, the amount of writing you get done or books published in a year...some writers / authors are Voracious in the amount of work that they get done. Some writers get a prolific amount written in one day, I've had days when doing NaNoWriMo, where I've belted out 3,000 words in a session. But then as we writers know, it's easy enough to do when you are in the zone. 

Some Authors can get anything up to six novels published in a year (something I don't think I'll ever be able to do). For me in that aspect there is always something to do other than write or edit (as I'm editing it all myself due to costs). 

I'm not complaining, I do rather enjoy it.

Then there are those writers who have to scrape time together to get anything done, and they aspire to having a day to write, but when that day comes there is usually mundane world stuff to complete or do. I consider myself extremely lucky (even if in that luck I am in pain from the back and hip issues). 

I think also the amount varies when you are constantly editing one sentence, or a paragraph to make it perfect, which is why I prefer to edit AFTER I have the entire thing written and plot holes filled in.

In the beginning, don't worry too much about it, it's something to aspire to in later years when time is more your own and you have more of an inkling of what you are doing. 


Vocabulary 

The use of words, all the words down on paper or up on a screen that we put together to make sentences, the paragraphs, chapters and novels. We don't need to use massively long words (unless that is what our character does, or we're writing about that one town in wales), we don't need to invent a language so that our goblins can speak it to the elves with glee when it's not understood (look up some codes, or if you want to go the complicated way, any sites on creating a new language.

Even when writing in the here and now (2024 and Earth, modern towns), massive words may not cut it, and some slang can be used, just be careful about things like 'Boyo' (Corkonian for boy, lad, man), or 'what about ye' (Northen Ireland for hello how are ye) or feck, craic and pog mo hon (points if you know the last one).

Present day languages are also handy, but enough to give the reader the idea that the person is from that part of the world and can speak the language. 

I like using footnotes, not many people appreciate them, but for me it's kinda handy to explain the Irish word or goblin, or curse to the reader who may not know. Some readers don't like it, but I do.


Voracious Writers

Huff Post

Dustin Yarc

Word Counter

Writing Analytics 


Vocabulary

Helping Writers

Vulgrlang

Roll For Fantasy

Writers Edit

Prostory Builders



1 comment:

  1. I wonder how much I could produce if I was writing full time. Given I have worked full time and raised a family, I think I've done remarkably well to have written and published as much as I have. Would I get more done with more time? Theoretically, of course, but I wonder.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-v

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, you have reached the Wicked Writer, otherwise known as Bridgina Molloy, aka abydos6, aby6 or Gina, please leave a message and I'll get right back to ya!

Post from the bag....

The Post Ideas Mesh Bag! The question is... 'Are you a morning person or a night owl'? If I haven't had enough sleep I'm a g...